Gaming is finally getting recognition from brands as one of the world’s biggest entertainment and media platforms. An in-depth understanding of the complex gaming landscape is crucial to identify the most valuable opportunities gaming audiences have to offer. Newzoo’s UK gamer insights report 2022 includes high-level takeaways from deep research along with insights on the data.
UK Gamer Insights Report 2022 – 10 Key Takeaways
- There are 39.1m UK gamers, making the UK the 18th largest country for gaming participation
- 71% play
- 36% watch, of which 35% also play
- 25% consume other gaming content (e.g. online communities, podcasts, in-person events etc)
- 15% watch professional esports competitions
- 6% create gaming content
- $5.5bn is spent on gaming by UK gamers, ranking the UK as the 6th largest by spend
- 54% of gamers are male, 46% female, and 1% non-binary/other
- 23% of UK gamers are aged 10-20 years old, 33% are 21-25, 28% are 36-50, and 16% are aged 51-65
- The various motivations for gaming are broadly similar in influence and include
- Mobile is the most popular platform to game on for the UK audience (46%), followed by console (41%) and PC (29%)
- Average hours per week spent gaming show mobile players to be more casual (3hrs 59 mins) and console (5hrs 42 mins a week) and PC (5hrs 10 mins) gamers to be enthusiasts
- Overwatch (1&2), Fortnite, and FIFA 23 are the most popular games to play, although Call of Duty comes in both 5th and 7th for its Modern Warfare/Warzone and Modern Warfare 2022 versions
- Adventure, shooter, and battle royale genres are the most popular to play (in that order), with sport fourth. Racing and simulation are 6th and 8th respectively
- 64% of players spend money on gaming every month
Download the UK Gamer Insights Report 2022
Click here to download and learn more from the UK gamer insights report 2022. You may also find The Future of Gaming Report 2022 interesting. Click here to see more.
If you’re looking for advice from an esports or gaming agency, Strive Sponsorship can help. Contact us for esports, sports, sponsorship, commercial, content, media, operations, investment, and communications consultancy services.
Frequently asked questions
How many people are gamers in the UK?
UK gamer insights show there are 39.1m UK gamers, making the UK the 18th largest country in the world by gaming participation.
Who plays video games UK?
54% of UK gamers are male, 46% female, and 1% non-binary/other. 23% of UK gamers are aged 10-20 years old, 33% are 21-25, 28% are 36-50, and 16% are aged 51-65.
How big is gaming in the UK?
$5.5bn is spent on gaming by UK gamers, ranking the UK as the 6th largest country in the world by spend.
Are PC games popular UK?
PC gamers spend an average of 5 hours and 10 mins hours per week playing. Mobile gamers play for an average of 3 hours and 59 minutes, but console gaming is the most popular averaging 5 hours 42 minutes a week.
Is PUBG popular in the UK?
Overwatch (1&2), Fortnite, and FIFA 23 are the most popular PC and console games to play in the UK, although Call of Duty comes in both 5th and 7th for its Modern Warfare/Warzone and Modern Warfare 2022 versions.