Newzoo’s latest market report, ‘Key insights into esports in the America’s’ examines a key region for esports as it represents 25% of the global esports audience and 40% of revenues generated within the esports industry.
As they say in their introduction:
North America has seen large investments from game publishers, venture capitalists, and traditional media in its esports scene. With the Overwatch League and franchised NA LCS leagues, investment and growth is expected to continue in the coming years. In Latin America, esports has quickly risen in popularity, with its fans known for their passion and dedication to games and teams. Latin America has developed some of most talented players in the world, especially in League of Legends and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
To effectively reach the esports community in the America’s, it is vital to understand the differences that come with the various cultures and languages in the region. There are three main cultures and languages to consider when creating an esports strategy for the America’s. A one-size-fits-all approach will not work as there are dramatic differences in the preferences and habits of the gaming and eports audience in each country.
Key insights include:
- In 2017, the America’s account for 40% of the world’s esports economy
- In the US, 10% of the esports audience is Hispanic or Latino
- Overwatch is three times more popular in North America than South America
- 39% of esports enthusiasts do not watch the most popular sport in their country
- 40% of Canada’s esports enthusiasts use reddit vs. 10% of the online population
The report also covers the following areas:
- Economy vs. Community
- Language Popularity
- Most Popular PC Titles
- The Opportunities for Traditional Sports
- Social Network Usage
If you would benefit from the advice of an esports agency, Strive Sponsorship can help. Contact us for esports sponsorship, commercial, content, operations, investment and communications consultancy services.